제목 : Questions on Pastors ( =Board No. 52 Korean Version)|
|If there is any chance for Jerry Cantrell or other teachers to see this board,
pls respond to this quesion.
Questions on Pastors
The followings are my understanding on Pastors from Lesson 1 (Introduction), Lesson 4(1Tim 3:1~11) and Lesson 7 ( 1Tim 5:17~25)
1) Pastors mean Elders or Overseers ( Acts 20:17,28, 1Timothy 3:1) : Pastor = Elder = Overseer)
2) The responsibility of Elders is to direct the affairs of the church ( 1Tim 5:17) and preach and teach (Lesson7)
3) There may be full time paid elders (1Tim 5:18, Lesson 7)
4) More than one elder is appointed in a church ( Plural in a church ).
5) Evangelist, Timothy & Titus can appoint elders. (1 Tim 5:22, Titus 1:5)
1. What’s difference among pastors, evangelists and preachers
a. Evangelists and pastors can preach, so the both can be called preachers. Is it right?
b. Is it desirable from biblical perspective that evangelists are sent to church to church or town to town to preach gospel or teach sound doctrine and correct false teaching but, pastors, elders & overseers stay in a local church as long as he can?.
c. Is it biblical that a pastor (elder or overseer) receive salary?
d. Who should be a main preacher on a Sunday worship service?
Can elders preach mainly on Sunday worship service?
2. Who should appoint pastors (elder or overseers)? Is it a local evangelist? And, Who should appoint a local evangelist? According to Tim, Titus 1:5, Evangelist, Timothy & Titus appoint elders. (1 Tim 5:22, Titus 1:5). But the appointment can be done due to an apostle, Paul’s permission or order.
3. Is there any particular figure who is called a pastor in New Testament? What’s his name?
4. According to Ephesus 4:11
KJV- And he gave some, apostle; and some, prophets; and some, evangelist; and some, pastors and teachers.
NIV- It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teacher
RSV- And his gift were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers.
All of three English Version do not say, ‘some, pastors and some, teachers’
The terms pastors, & teachers are used in group, not used separately.
Does ‘pastor and teacher’ refer to the same person??